Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How can I use the Linux on embedded system?

How can I use the Linux kernel on embedded system?

What is the right configuration, and how to add my application to?How can I use the Linux on embedded system?
Without knowing what you are trying to embed in there can be no definitive answer..

BUT...

http://openembedded.net

is a great placve to start deving a kernel for your system.

bitbaking is kind of a pain in the rear, but you'll get used to it after a few runs.

Good luck.How can I use the Linux on embedded system?
what is the embedded system you are looking to use?



you might try looking into the Linux from Scratch project.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/



basically you start with GCC and Libraries and then boot into a minimal system and start compiling larger parts of the kernel and shell and what ever software you want and add this and that. once you get the hang of it, its pretty fun actually

and there are other projects like how to secure Linux and add GUI and cross compilers and all that stuff.How can I use the Linux on embedded system?
I can't give a definite answer since I don't know which system you are working with. I have a PC Engines Wrap (Which has been now been replaced Alix) I have tried out free (only for x86 processors) Voyage, Zeroshell and the FreeBSD based Monowall. None of thoes have worked out for exactly what I'm trying to do, so I have been thinking about buying the x86 version of DD-WRT (Which is free for other architectures) All of the installs I tried, I just downloaded the disk image and directly copied it to over on a desktop computer via a CF to IDE adapter. On Unix based system you can use the dd command For example: dd if=diskimage of=/dev/hda There is a Windows utility to do the same http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php

There are methods to install that use a serial console, but they are more complicated. Embedded is really a computer with just some limitations than of a desktop computer, and often uses alternative processors. I've seen several guilds of people installing Debian Linux on about every embedded system including Ethernet capable external hard drives.

A book I recommend is "Linux Networking Cookbook", but author only tests her guides on a x86 based Soekris board. PC Enginees and Soekris stuff is pretty similer.

No comments:

Post a Comment