Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What is the best Linux distribution for an avid Windows users that can be downloaded on my computer?

I am looking for Linux Distribution that is the best one for the avid Windows User that can be downloaded and installed directly on my computer. I do not know how to burn ISO files, plus I need something fast and easy.What is the best Linux distribution for an avid Windows users that can be downloaded on my computer?
Ok you can see some distributions of linux here

http://helplinux.altervista.org/english/鈥?/a>

there is a nice list with simple description...



so to burn a iso file u can use alchool120% nero or others...What is the best Linux distribution for an avid Windows users that can be downloaded on my computer?
First of all it's much more complicated to do a network install than it is to burn an iso, it's not an easy option. All you need to do is download the iso file and make sure you choose the "burn iso" option in you're burning software.



Ubuntu is very popular, but it uses the Gnome desktop which is quite a bit different from windows. I think opensuse with a KDE desktop would be a slightly more windows like look to it.



One thing to remember about linux is to forget windows. One of the biggest problems a windows user has with linux is that they expect it to work the same and if it doesn't they soon give up without finding the advantages, believe me once you get used to linux it's hard to see how anyone can get any meaninfull work done on a windows machine.



You can get opensuse here:

http://software.opensuse.org/

Make sure you read the install guide etc





Here's a site with install instructions %26amp; screenshots, make sure you go for a dual boot option.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/openSUSE-鈥?/a>



email me if you need help with suse.What is the best Linux distribution for an avid Windows users that can be downloaded on my computer?
The easiest transition will be Ubuntu Studio 7.1:

http://www.ubuntustudio.org



Here's an install tutorial:

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_de鈥?/a>
I recommend one of the Ubuntu family of distributions (which one will depend on your needs). However, if you don't know how to burn ISO files, then *find out*! It's generally not difficult, and it makes it much, much easier to take advantage of the various Linux distributions available.



EDIT: I notice terrpic has said that Ubuntu uses GNOME rather than KDE. That's correct, but if you prefer KDE, you can get the Kubuntu distribution instead (it's basically the same as the regular distribution except that it has KDE instead of GNOME). In fact, that's what my Linux box is currently running.

No comments:

Post a Comment