Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What are my chances to become a Linux System Administrator at 48?

I am trying to change career(unemployed) and I am a newbie in technology except that I did some html %26amp; CSS. I wonder if I study Linux for a year %26amp; maybe pass a linux+ certification I will be able to get an entry level position? Is it too old at 48 to try? Or maybe should I focus on something like PHP/Mysql? I am trying to decide what would be the easy road and the rewarding one as well. Thanks.What are my chances to become a Linux System Administrator at 48?
With RHCE, you are never too old.What are my chances to become a Linux System Administrator at 48?
Too old? No. (I'm 20 years older than you are. When I interview prospective employees, a little snow on the roof tells me that this person isn't going to call in sick just because his unemployed friends want him to tag along to the beach. I have someone working for me who's about 75. [Can't actually ask, it's illegal, but he was injured in the Korean conflict.) Too inexperienced? Maybe. There are probably thousands of Linux administrators looking for work.



If you focus on programming, Javascript, PHP, SQL you can at least get some consulting work working on websites until the economy improves.What are my chances to become a Linux System Administrator at 48?
Absolutely not. I would look if your local community college offers a LINUX + class. I was a Linux enthusiast before but taking an actually class really helped.



Also, go to ubuntu.com and download Linux and start playing with it. If you decide not to go the Linux Admin route you will still have a great platform for MySQL and PHP/PERL/Python or whatever other hot IT career you decide on.



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment