Saturday, March 10, 2012

What flavor of Linux is best for setting up a file-server?

My family is scattered throughout the country.



I'd like to set up a Linux file-server that all of us around the country can tap into with SSH and share files. What flavor works best for this ? Ubuntu ? Kubuntu ? CentOS ?What flavor of Linux is best for setting up a file-server?
I'd use CentOS, but if all you're doing is a file share behind a firewall, they'll all run Samba fine.What flavor of Linux is best for setting up a file-server?
Any of them, as long as you have the package open-ssh installed. I use ubuntu on my desktop and can access my entire system while i'm away during classes via my netbook which runs windows (via putty). Also I can use sftp (ssh file transfer protocol) to pull files and place files on. But again, any Linux OS will work if you're using ssh.
  • just tires
  • fondue
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment