Saturday, March 10, 2012

How to install linux on old acer laptop?

I got an old acer laptop that I can fix it.It is about 5 years old. But I am looking forward to use linux because I am using the laptop for internet purposes only and I don't want to spend buying Windows for that purpose only.What linux version i can use, Ubuntu or Linpus?Will it work with my laptop hardware like built in WIFI, Optical Drive and others? How do I install it? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!How to install linux on old acer laptop?
Hello;



Installing Linux on a laptop is not for the faint hearted! Sometimes it goes smooth, sometimes it is pure hell. The problem of course is the drivers ... if the distro has the drivers then it works easy if not ... well nasty problems. I did a check and my guess is that Linux will go on you Acer Laptop just fine. Apperently Acer sells some Linux Laptops should you might be in luck.



I recommend Ubuntu Distro ... it seems the most user friendly. It is easy to install and use.



First you have to get an installation disk. Not that difficult to do -- you can download it off the web and then burn it disk using the ISO setting.



http://www.ubuntu.com/



Once you get the disk you simply boot from it and it will ask questions about how you install the system (Duel Boot, or Linux System) -- The most important thing is that when it asks for the Username and Password ... you must get that right DON'T EVER FORGET the info because your machine will not run with out it.



Once you get the OS installed it is a great idea to go on the net and get the updates.



I don't know how wireless will work ... the newest version is supposed to have good support (version 8.10.xx Intrepid Ibex).



Best of luck,



BillHow to install linux on old acer laptop?
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has alot of network drivers, so i would try that. Not too sure on the OD, though. Just put a bootable copy of ubuntu on a flash drive and stick it in, open up your BIOS and change the flashdrive as the first bootable drive and restart. Should start up, unless the copy of ubuntu is bad.
  • ihop locations
  • online puzzle games
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment