Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What is the most streamlined method of upgrading the Linux kernel?

I have tried several methods but I am looking that streamlines the process to a minimum. Does anyone know of such a method.



Distros.



Ubuntu%26gt;Linux Mint%26gt;FedoraWhat is the most streamlined method of upgrading the Linux kernel?
A generic kernel made for testing for the next version of your flavor of linux. For mepis, a debian based flavor, I add a sid repository to my apt/sources.list, aptitude update, and then install the latest kernel. I then comment out or delete the line in apt/sources.list, and test that I haven't hosed my applications. I did say to make a backup first didn't I?What is the most streamlined method of upgrading the Linux kernel?
The latest stable kernel for ubuntu is linux 2.6.31-16-generic. There are newer kernels (2.6.32-rc8) but stability is unproven on these and you would be "beta testing" the kernel.



Have no idea what the newest for fedora or mint is. I would guess that it should be the same for mint as it is built off ubuntu.



Have to say that the update manager is always the easiest way to go.



If you feel like being a kernel master terminal superhero; goto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t鈥?/a>



You could build a script, save it, and run it to update and compile kernels whenever you wanted.What is the most streamlined method of upgrading the Linux kernel?
The most streamlined method of upgrading your kernel is to have your Package Manager do it for you and then reboot when it is done. That is the most hands off, human error free way of doing it.
  • things to do
  • international house
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment