Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Where to start for becoming a linux master?

I have ubuntu 8.10 installed on my macbook and I am familiar with the gui as well as other desktop environments. But, I have no clue how to program, what a source code is, or how to build my own linux distro from scratch. I do know how to install several operating systems, how to partition a hard drive, and how to install hardware. I'd like to be a programmer someday and I want to know where to start. Thanks! Where to start for becoming a linux master?
Check this out:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/



It guides you through building a distro from scratch.



Source code is basically the "recipe" to a program. A compiler converts source code to binary.



KDE wasn't my preferred desktop environment at first either, but as I started using it and discovered how much more configurable it is and found some of it's unique features (that the other DE's don't have), it became my favorite desktop environment.



But if you want to learn more about Linux, try using a distro that doesn't try to emulate Windows. Using slackware has taught me a lot.Where to start for becoming a linux master?
Becoming a "Linux master" and learning to program are quite different things. If you want to learn more about Linux, I suggest you uninstall Ubuntu and install a Linux distro which doesn't hold your hand, such as Arch, Debian, Gentoo or Slackware.



If you're more into programming, I suggest taking a course on the fundamentals of programming. If you'd rather jump into the practical side, get The C Programming Language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Progr鈥?/a>



If you don't like KDE, try Gnome. If you don't like Gnome, try XFCE. If you don't like those, try Enlightenment or one of the more obscure ones, such as Awesome, wmii, dwm, etc.Where to start for becoming a linux master?
A great way to combine your experience with Ubuntu and your desire to learn about programming would be to learn how to create your own Ubuntu packages.



There's a video tutorial series at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKLabbXTqMc that's pretty well done.


It sounds like you want to be a hacker:



http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-how鈥?/a>



Read ESR's famous tutorial on entering hackerdom and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment