Sunday, March 4, 2012

Is there a way to download linux without a disk drive?

I got this new laptop (ultra portable) without a disk drive. I remember hearing ti was possible to get linux running with a flash drive but, what I want to know is if it's possible to download linux with it (dual boot). If not is there any other way? I'm using an Ubuntu like distro.Is there a way to download linux without a disk drive?
You have at least 2 options: use unetbootin (see link below) and use an usb drive. or use wubi to download ubuntu to your computer and install from there.

You should also check out the ubuntu remix for the netbook, )see the 3rd link.

Good luckIs there a way to download linux without a disk drive?
it is possible to download/install linux onto a 4 gig flash drive flash drive if you have ubuntu 9.4 installed on your system then you can make a flash drive boot up system



I am about to test and see if I can make a multi boot flash drive, it is going to be an interesting experiment mulitl booting from a flash driveIs there a way to download linux without a disk drive?
If the laptop is running Windows, I would use Linux Mint installed via WUBI. Mint is basically a remix of Ubuntu, with more codecs and various (useful) software packages pre-installed.



You could also download a distro and run it from a flash drive in Live mode or use the flash drive to install it completely (www.pendrivelinux.com is a great resource for instructions).



I've tried running Ubuntu 9.04 in Live mode from a 1 GB flash drive on an older 1.8Ghz Pentium 4 and it ran great. The "persistent" USB install can be a little flaky, I'd stay with Live mode.



Hope that helps,

Jason

http://www.shopforlinux.com

No comments:

Post a Comment